Topographical maps are a wealth of information. Understanding the colors on a topo map allows you to get a better vision of what type of terrain you will encounter. Below are some of the basic colors you will find on a Topo map.
Basic Topo Map Colors
- BLACK: Man-made areas (eg. buildings, small roads).
- RED: Built up areas like cities.
- BROWN: Terrain reliefs and contour lines.
- GREEN: Vegetation, (Trees, Forests, etc.).
- BLUE: Water, (Lakes, Streams, Creeks, etc.)
- OTHER COLORS: They are explained in the legend.